Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Moving the Elephant....errr Fountain.

The previous owner of our new house {we believe} was trying to make his neighbor/ best friend jealous and put the pool, grill, fire pit, outdoor fans, outdoor misters, and the 2500 lbs fountain all on one side of the house. It is a ridiculous layout and we are trying to make it all work.

We decided to move the fountain so that we can actually enjoy it. Well, it didn't hurt that I went to a local fountain dealer here in town and found out that it is worth well over $3500 - so that obviously motivated me to get this thing out of the dark corner it was in. Plus, I have been trying to figure out what to do with this weed filled area that sits behind our patio furniture.

To start this project we needed to create a foundation for the fountain to sit on. The area before was very uneven and I wanted the fountain to sit above the patio so that no children can walk right into it.
The previous owner also left me tons of leftover stone.... till this point we've had it piled on the side of the yard collecting black widows. Luckily, this was a perfect use of these large stones. They were too big and heavy to throw away.....One man's trash is another man's treasure, right?
This before the weeds took over!


That isn't grass.... its weeds!

It took both my mom and I to lift each stone. Each weighing at least 100 lbs!







































































This photo below is the wagon maxed out with stones, sand, and river rock in front of Lowe's. People in the parking lot couldn't believe how much stuff Scott fit in the back. The back looks slammed!
We really need a truck!!! 


It took 3 men, a pallet jack, a giant tire, and a few pieces of PVC pipe to move it. The base alone weighs over 1800 lbs!!!!

This was pretty dicey! It didn't fit, so they had to tilt it!!!


































Almost there!!!
I don't know what took us so long to do this. Now when we are outside, it is so pleasant and relaxing to hear the water splashing. Sounds like rain. Of course, I have to give the credit to my mom. I originally didn't want to bother with moving the fountain and I wanted to add another fire pit in this location. This is waaaaaay better!



































My lil helper. No pants and Nike Dunks!




































I decided to add the river rock around to make the fountain appear to have a larger base. I plan on doing another row of stones and then add some landscaping.... maybe I can finish that next week!

Here it is, almost finished. It looks great looking outside from the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment